When I was young kid, I really couldn’t understand why people did not have to work on Labor Day. Didn’t this mean “Work Day”? Weren’t the days of Monday thru Friday Labor Days? What I realized is Labor Day is for the common man – common worker.
- If you thought Labor Day is strictly an American holiday, we really have our Canadian neighbors to thank. Labor Day started over a labor dispute in the 1870’s in Toronto, Canada who were disputing 58 hour work weeks.
- The 1st Labor Day Parade was held in 1872 in Canada
United States of America
- September 5, 1882 – The 1st Labor Day in the U.S.A. was in New York City. It included 10,000 workers as they paraded the city. The festivities also included parades, cigars, and lager beer kegs mounted any possible place they could think of.
- Why 10,000 workers? They were organized, trying to gain support of the 8 hour work day. They were tired, exhausted from the 12 hour work days.
- The 1882 Labor Day was formed by Union leaders
- There is a dispute to this day over whether Peter J. McGuire or Matthew McGuire founded the 1st Labor Day.
- The 1st Labor Day was on a Tuesday.
- In the beginning, Municipal Ordinances were the ways Labor Day was 1st recognized, being passed in 1885 and 1886.
- The 1st State Bill was proposed in New York.
- Oregon passed the 1st State Law on February 21, 1887 recognizing Labor Day as a holiday.
- Colorado, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York also recognized Labor Day that same year.
- 1894 – President Grover Cleveland signs into law that the 1st Monday of September shall be an official holiday known as Labor Day.
- If you want to be fashionably correct, be sure to pack away those white shoes today. I think this may be less of a tradition today due to sneakers but I remember officially packing away the summer clothes and NO WHITE after Labor Day.
- If you are interested in US Labor Statistics, click here for USA.gov Government Made Easy
I don’t know about you, but I am thankful that work weeks are only 40 hours.
Isn’t it interesting how the tone of the nation has turned?
So many people choose to work well past the 40 hour week.
Many people wish they had a job to complain about rejoyce in.
• • •
Today – just for fun – I am including a “Word of the Day”. (The connotation has been used above.)
– Defined by Dictionary.com