Buns are great! Homemade, fresh, delicious buns!
As with any bread, it does not take long for the hands-on work. You will spend more time waiting for the dough to rise.
Here’s a tried and true bun recipe.
Whether it be for Hot Dogs or Hamburgers, they are soft and tender. You will never want the store bought buns again.
Yield: 8 buns
1 cup water, lukewarm
2 Tbs unsalted butter, at room temperature and creamed
3 1/4 cups All Purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tbs instant yeast (I use regular yeast)
1 egg yolk (+ 1 Tsp water)
1. Sprinkle the yeast into the water and leave for 5 minutes. Stir to dissolve.
2. Combine all the ingredients and mix well.
3. Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured working surface and knead for about 10 minutes until you’ve made a soft, smooth dough.
4. Place the dough in a clean and lightly greased bowl.
5. Cover it with a towel and let rise for about 1 (or1-1/2) hour, until doubled in size.
6. Divide the dough into 8 pieces and shape each piece into a flattened ball.
7. Place the buns on greased baking sheets, cover with a towel and let rise 30 to 40 minutes, until they’re quite puffy and doubled in size.
8. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
9, Glaze the buns with the egg yolk and water mixture, then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
10. Bake the buns for 12 to 15 minutes, until they are golden brown.
11. Remove them from the oven and cool them on a wire rack.
If you wish, you can also add 1 teaspoon onion powder and 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onions to the dough.
In the original recipe, the buns were not glazed nor sprinkled with sesame seeds, so that’s up to you if you want to add that kind of finishing or not. You should feel free to experiment.
Split and use for burgers or sandwiches.
When making hambugers, butter the split sides and fry them (buttered side down) until they are golden brown and warmed through.
Hot Dog Buns:
Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll out each piece into a 6×4 rectangle. Roll up on the long side. Place seam down on the baking sheet. Allow to rise and bake using the above directions.